Friday, October 20, 2006

NOT a secretary

It REALLY bothers me when someone calls me a secretary. I'm definitely NOT a secretary. My main job functions are not taking meeting minutes, answering phones, filing and ordering supplies. Yes, sometimes I do those things to stay organized, but that is NOT the main function of my job.

I would venture to say that secretaries don't exist anymore. They are no longer needed. We are moving out of a generation where the "boss" has a woman by his desk that types for him, phones for him, and takes meeting minutes in short hand (yes, I said "his" AND I said "woman"). No one goes to secretarial school, and no one learns short-hand anymore. Honestly, this may be a practice in some older business models, but some of the great men AND women in control have to be able to do many things for themselves. Besides, if you want something done right... you have to do it yourself.

No comments: