Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Bridge to Bridge


Time: 1:01:44
Pace per mile: 8:17

It's been 3 weeks, but I thought I should give some information about the Glide Bridge to Bridge race on October 1.

I did the B2B last year, but this year, I took on the long race - 12K. It was foggier this year than the picture perfect race last year. It IS San Francisco, afterall, so it's not like this weather was unexpected. I was in much better shape October 2005, and I started the race having no idea of my pace, and not being able to remember what running over 7 miles feels like. I ran the Wharf to Wharf in good form a couple of months ago... so what's another mile and a half, right? The truth is, if you are in semi-good running form, it's only the first 3 miles that can make or break you. After that, you could run for hours. (Not recommended.)

I always enjoy the company of other runners. It makes the time pass so quickly and allows for an enjoyable time. During the B2B I was playing cat and mouse with a girl who looked like a body builder. She would pass me, I would pass her, she would pass me, etc. It was kind of fun -- we realized half way through that we were generally pacing each other and it afforded a little, harmless competition. (I kept in mind that, even if I passed her for good, she could still kick my little ass at the end of the race if she wanted to.) We shared some small-talk, mostly about an upcoming long hill.

After the race I waited in the shuttle line with a guy and his two teenage daughters. Turns out he is in a classic rock band in the East Bay. His son is studying jazz at UOP, playing multiple instruments, so we talked a bit about rock bands, jazz and university music programs.

I have not yet convinced any of my friends to participate in these races with me, so I've been going alone, but having a great time anyway. It gets me up early, keeps me motivated and inspired before the rush of the work week begins.

2 comments:

Helga said...

Go girl! You are the fastest girl in San Jose, after all.

sarah said...

You look so cute here.

Sorry I flaked on you :-( I really wanted to do it.