Sunday, September 17, 2006

I'm sore

I woke up late this morning, dreading the idea of getting to the gym or going for a run. I really just wanted to sit around all day and weep about going back to work on Monday...but I dragged my ass out of the house, deciding I would see how far it is from my house to Campbell Park - the closest entrance to the Los Gatos Creek Trail.

I took it easy - a nice strong walk, 5 blocks, down to the park, then started running at a slow pace. It's a beautiful day today. It made me wonder why I didn't venture down to the LGCT sooner. Pretty soon my pace was picking up, but I made myself slow down and walk a couple of times to get a drink of water, or just give my knees a rest. It felt pretty damned good to be outside in the fresh air.

When I lived in San Jose, I would drive down to Meridian Avenue, park my car, run 30 minutes towards Campbell/Los Gatos, then turn around and run back to my car. This dropped me off at Los Gatos Creek Country Park before I had to turn around. I estimate this is about 7 miles round trip. (I need also mention that I was in tip-top condition last summer when I did this.)

Now that I live in Campbell, I decided to go beyond my usual stopping point and see how close I could get to downtown Los Gatos. So, what do you do when you get to Lark Avenue? You keep going to Vasona, naturally. Eventually I had to stop, because my knees were aching and I still had to go make the trek back. I have no idea how far I went today. But, I left the house before noon and returned at 2 pm. When I took off my shoes, the toes were bloody and I discovered a HUGE blister on my left heel. Time to buy some new shoes and get back into shape.

No comments: