Thursday, February 03, 2011

Maintenance

1 lifestyle coaching scheduled
1 sick boyfriend
1 spin class
1 fond memory

And now I recall getting my butt kicked by people 20 years older than me.

I went back to my favorite spin class for the first time in about 8 months last night. Mark, the instructor, works out harder than anyone else, and leads the class with a series of quarter, half and full turns on the bike. I find this much more effective (and difficult) than "you are going up a hill," or "you are now on a flat road" imho. I've decided most beginners, like me, have no clue what a real hill or flat road feel like, really. It's also better to know what you are *supposed* to be feeling, and adjusting (backing off) as necessary instead of taking it easy.

A year ago, after kicking ass in his spin class for a couple of weeks, Mark asked if I'd like to join a group of classmates on a real bike ride - the "Saturday Casual Coffee Caravan (CCC ride)." I loaded my road bike into the car and headed to south San Jose for what I thought was a 25 mile bike ride to Morgan Hill and back, with a coffee stop between. Sounds good, right? I mean - these people are 15-20 years older than me. I'm super fit and awesome! . . .

My first realization was that pumping your legs at 16 MPH on a bike is anything but "casual" to a non-rider. But, everyone in the group was super supportive, and all told me I was doing great. On the way back to San Jose, they decided I could handle a monstrous hill affectionately called "The Wall" which I totally (but slowly) nailed.

Like a child I asked, "Are we there yet?"

Unfortunately it was the final 14 miles after The Wall that totally kicked my ass. I had been beaten by a group of 45-50 year-olds. These people were lean, mean, bike riding machines and I had no idea what I was getting myself into. What is their secret? I think growing up is the ability to maintain, especially while pedaling slowly up a hill. Then being able to pedal some more after your ass is thoroughly kicked.

I'm not ready to go back on a CCC ride yet. At least spin class was fun.

No comments: