Monday, February 28, 2011

Finding purpose

My buddy KG suggested I meet a friend of hers, HL, who has quite a lot of experience in resume writing, and networking. Unfortunately we were only able to "meet" through email, but I did receive a lot of professional networking tips, and resume help which I greatly appreciate. HL suggested I do a personality test, maybe the Meyers Briggs, which I did about 4 years ago in a leadership class for my Master's degree. (That degree is TOTALLY paying for itself right now. *sarcasm*)

ENFP/ENFJ - Extroverted, Intuitive, Feeling, Perceiving/Judging (I'm about 50/50 on the P/J)

HL wrote me back saying, "I'm an INFJ - borderline introvert/extrovert, so we are pretty close! We both need some serious 'purpose' when it comes to our career pursuits!"

Purpose. Yeah that's exactly what I need. I'm not one of those people who can just take any job. I need to care about work; I need to know the company's purpose, my boss' purpose, my co-workers' purpose, and my own purpose. It's actually purpose that I've been struggling with all along in my current position, and the fact that I feel like I have none.

Overall, my company is educational, so we have a great purpose! My department is struggling to figure out its place in the company, and is made up of individuals who don't have a clear idea of the company's mission, or they are out for their own purpose. When I started here, I thought my purpose was to keep people together, and create new and innovative programs. I really felt for a long time that we could do some strategic planning, and give the department some vision to move forward. Recently I feel like this purpose has been diminished to cleaning up messes, and just keeping the peace (barely) between people who are content with mediocrity. Furthermore, I realized this is not going away any time soon.

On a positive note -- I'm a stellar problem solver! But, I don't want problem solving and fixing other people's messes to be the purpose for my life. There is this whole creative side of me that needs to be realized, and I'm driving myself crazy trying to figure out what it is. If I'm going to clean up a mess, I'd rather it be my own.

No comments: