Thursday, August 24, 2006

This Musician's Life

It's true, as they say -- All musicians have a day job. What they don't highlight are the million little projects on the side that supplement our earnings, or keep us busy enough not to think about our pocketbooks. I'm proud to say that I have a full-time job in the performing arts and not at a local Pizza Hut. (Although, I'll have you know, pizza-making did support 2 years of my undergraduate career. I can still flip a mean crust, although I'll need to take allergy medication first.) Even when my checkbook bounces, I thank my lucky stars I never went to school to be corporate lawyer or a banker (oh, the drudgery). I feel, as most musicians do, that their "career" encompasses their whole person and is not just a job that puts food on the table... it's a way of life.

CAREER = job + projects

My career consists of: My job, MA courses, performances, rehearsals, board meetings, working out... I've been having a hard time keeping track of it all. So... I've FINALLY introduced a WEEKLY PLANNER into my life!

I haven't used a planner since college, and although my wall calendar at work is filled, I really needed a calendar at hand. A few months ago, a friend gave me a palm pilot and I hated it. It was too difficult to read, a pain in the a## to write in, and when the battery charger broke, I didn't feel the need to replace it. Thank goodness it was a hand-me-down. (Any takers?)

The 2007 WEEKLY PLANNER (978-064169100-3) was a good ole' $6.95 Barnes and Nobel purchase. I think we are going to be good friends.

1 comment:

sarah said...

I've recently resurrected the planner as well. Yours is cuter though.