Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Apparently, I'm a fatty

Or, maybe not so apparent. I don't see the problem. I work out 3-5 days a week and can pump out a 10K pretty easily. I've gained about 5 pounds over the holidays... me and everyone else I can think of.

You can understand my astonishment when my body fat was calculated at 25% - "overweight" according to 24 Hour Fitness Body Mass Index standards. The trainer taking my measurements said I have an athletic build, putting me up a notch, possibly into the "fit" category. (Does this category exist, or does she know that I know that the assessment of my B.M.I. was B.S.) I went online today to confirm results. Somehow, the National Heart Lung and Blood Institute calculates that I am "normal."

Who shall I believe? A corporate gym who obviously wants my money, but saw me in person, or a national health organization and their quick online version?

The B.M.I. standards really irritate me. I don't think anyone knows what a body SHOULD look like or how much fat is acceptable. Somehow our society makes normal people feel overweight, but they tell overweight people that big is beautiful, etc. So, what ARE they trying to say?

I believe it should be about health. The B.M.I. assessment doesn't ask about daily habits, exercise, or health... it just tells you how "fat" you are. Have you seen a football linebacker? Those guys are huge, and I really don't think they should be considered "overweight" or "unfit."

So, if the 28 year old, 5' 4'' curvy woman who runs a 7:30 mile and works out 3-5 days a week was told she is on the verge of being "overweight" I would suggest you ignore that B.M.I. crap from the corporate gym, any US department of health, and especially those people on TV and live a healthy life according to what you want and you need.

1 comment:

Chino XL said...

It's OK Suzie, I still think you're hot...then again, I'm sort of a Chubby Chaser. HAHAHA!!!