Tuesday, April 17, 2007

"Speak softly and carry a big gun...

Things have gotten seriously out of hand since Roosevelt spoke the original West African proverb, "Speak softly and carry a big stick, and you will go far."

In fact, those we SHOULD fear are those who speak very softly, and carry a big gun... and they are not furthering anything, only taking innocent lives.

Since hearing of the massacre at Virginia Tech, I've had the voice of my ex-German going through my head. "In Germany, we can't have guns." "In Germany, we take people out of society who are a threat to it."

What are we doing wrong? Please don't tell me Michael Moore is right. Please don't tell me my friend in Las Vegas who feels he needs to carry a gun to protect himself and his family is correct in doing so! I'm not saying you can't have a gun, I'm just saying that I'd hope to live in a society where carrying one is unnecessary. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case.

No comments: