Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Fear of Commitment & The 3-year Plan


Have I mentioned previously how much I hate indecisiveness? Oh, I think I have. (It's under Weird Wednesday.)

I just read an article about how fear of commitment renders you powerless. You are better off to make a wrong decision than not to make one at all. Per the article, to make a commitment is to make a decision -- it could be the decision to say "YES" as a decision to say "NO." Those who do not make commitments often allow others to make them FOR them, leading to dissatisfaction. To make a commitment is to have power over yourself and your life.
I HAVE THE POWWEEER!!!!

I'm mostly a commitment person. I have a pretty easy time committing to things. I'll admit sometimes they are not easy decisions, and sometimes they are bad decisions. By giving myself the power to choose, I have the power to "un-choose" as I please. The main objective for me is -- Pick one! Please!

Unfortunately I seem to have relationships with a lot of commitment-wary individuals (those who, obviously, do NOT have the POWWEEER!), both in my personal life and at work. Not a day goes by that I'm not waiting for someone to make a decision so I can finish a project at work. Often I make the decision to move forward on the project, and am then scrutinized because someone didn't like the way I finished it.
In the workplace, administrators constantly talk about the 3-year plan, the 5-year plan, long term plans, capital projects plan, performance review plan. I used to think all of this planning was unnecessary, until I started to realize that by "planning," you are also making "commitments" to move forward, therefore giving you the POWWEERR!

So, I put together a 3-year personal plan. My plan includes:

- Taking out a student loan (Finalizing next week)

- Expediting MA courses (Courses have been mapped out.)

- Finishing said MA degree in Spring 2008

- Advancing in my career (Specifics have been mapped out.)

- Possible work/life relocation (5-year plan will include buying property.)

- Paying off all debt by 2010 (Fingers crossed.)

I told my best friend from High School, Alison, about the 3-year plan -- she said hers would include running a marathon and a baby. What's your 3-year plan?


1 comment:

sarah said...

She-ra! Yes! I love that you have that on your blog...

I'll second the baby and marathon...but maybe a triathlon or century ride instead of the marathon. Original and shocking, huh?