Friday, November 02, 2007

Professional (Personal) Development

I think one thing my employer does very well is incoporating HR professional development workshops into the workplace. Workshops are voluntary and free. Currently, I'm taking Business Writing. The instructor is an English Professor, and the students are staff members from all over campus: Student Life, Admissions, Development, Engineering, IT, and the Provost's Office. These workshops are not only informative, but also very good networking opportunities. LOVE THEM.

Another professional development workshop just caught my eye; I love when life events come full-circle or are tied to one another.

Tuesday, November 6 - Emotional Intelligence with (Name Here)

Which do you think is a more accurate predictor of life success: A
person's emotional intelligence or a person's IQ? If you are like most
of us, you'd probably guess that IQ-a person's mental intelligence-is
more important. However, you'd be surprised to learn that a person's
emotional intelligence is actually more closely tied to life success.
This workshop will explore:The powerful forces that can result in an
individual's success

The factors that are linked with emotional intelligence

Your personal emotional intelligence level


My MA coursework this fall has revolved around Student Development, and emotional intelligence is part of all of Chickering's vectors (Check out links at right). I've also been thinking about emotional intelligence with regard to relationships. Most recently, about my own emotional intelligence, and my former partner's emotional intelligence.

When parting ways, we (actually I) had a conversation about how much your college drinking (binging, drugs, etc) days lead into a poor development of emotional intelligence (further into other vectors such as "#4 Developing Mature Interpersonal Relationships")and drinking further into your 30's doesn't allow you to ever develop the emotional intelligence that normal people have. This is part of the problem with alcoholics.

I seriously had this conversation with Mr.IQ>150 when we parted ways.

I'll let you know how I score on the Emotional Intelligence quiz. I've never had an IQ test. (I'd love for Mr.IQ>150 to be able to come with me!)

Please drink responsibly. :)

No comments: