Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Things my dad taught me.



Dad as Mr. Incredible.

You know the age when women decide they are starting to act like their mother. Well, I'm starting to act like my father. Weird. I know.

When I was a high schooler, my dad would come home with work-related banter all the time. "The teachers union...this. The board members...that. This kid was being insubordinate...blah." I would go to my room and slam the door and scream, "I'm SO TIRED of hearing about school all day! I go to school, then I come home and hear about SCHOOL!" Now, I'm working... in a school and studying to be an administrator. Well, it's a university, so I don't have to deal much with insubordination. But, you get the point.

Dad always kind of looked up to me for studying music as an undergrad, because it's something he said he wish he'd have had the guts to do... something artistic. He did mention to me after I graduated that he would be most delighted if I would find a nice young doctor or lawyer to marry, who would be able to "support my lifestyle." But, I'll forgive him for that and him only wanting the best for me. (P.S. Dad, lawyers are boring.);)

Dad did teach me a lot of great things, though.

"Don't be a social worker. There are professionals who do that." (Said when I was dating a 'bad' boy at school.)
TRANSLATION: Don't try to change people.

"It's hard to be humble when your perfect in every way."
TRANSLATION: Sometimes you need to realize that you simply kick ass.

"Don't lay down with that hard candy in your mouth."
TRANSLATION: Avoid simple mistakes that could lead to disasters.

"Be rich in love."
TRANSLATION: Money doesn't matter if you have love.

"In Jr. High school, there was this kid who was constantly picking on me. One day, I couldn't take it any more so I doubled up my fist and hit him. He never bothered me again." (Said when a girl in school was giving me a hard time.. I never had to hit her, but damn, I really wanted to.)
TRANSLATION: You've tried to deal with it, but there's only so much one person can take.

"Well, he didn't graduate LAST in his class." (Dad referring to a former boyfriend, after digging up his student records.)
TRANSLATION: I will accept anyone you chose, but do you really have to chose HIM?

"We moved around a lot because I got bored. The only thing I never got tired of was your mom."
TRANSLATION: Marry forever. Everything else will change.

"Why do I have to be your garbage disposal?" (Usually said when eating.)
TRANSLATION: Don't put your waste on other people to finish.

"We'll talk to you next week if not sooner, ok?" (How dad ends every phone conversation)
TRANSLATION: You can always talk to me.

1 comment:

sarah said...

First of all, you are so totally going to marry a lawyer now. Also, your dad is great, and it's entirely fabulous that you have a picture of him as Mr. Incredible. Finally, I think you're probably his favorite.