Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Lick my face

Has anyone taken the Real Age Quiz ?

I took the quiz a few years ago, living in Las Vegas at the ripe old age of 23. As a 23-year-old recent college graduate, I was living on my own, working 60 hours a week in a job that was totally unsatisfying and had nothing to do with my B.A. I was underpaid, and worked a lot of evenings and weekends. I never had time to eat and was about 15 pounds thinner than I am now. I had 4 friends who were just as busy as myself. In order to have a social life, I'd go out on weeknights until 2 am, do a lot of really unhealthy things, and suffer through the next work day. I was not taking care of myself physically, emotionally, spiritually, artistically.. nothin'.

I hated life and I was lonely.
My Real Age was 35.7. (Actual age 23)

Today I feel pretty happy and healthy. I surround myself by people, I like my job. I work out regularly, and just ran a 10K over the weekend. I took the quiz again.
My Real Age is 36. (Actual age 27.8)

After you take the Real Age quiz, they try to sell you a bunch of health products. Of course! They also send emails with information about increasing amounts of vitamins, healthy diet, healthy habits, blah blah blah. A common tip I keep getting from the Real Age People:

"Get a Pet."

Hmmm... I'm wondering if this is the result of checking the "Single" box during the quiz? I did mention that I have plenty of friends and am surrounded by people all the time. But, somehow Real Age doesn't think that's enough.

The idea of being a "cat person" scares me, although I do like felines.

I'd LOVE to have a dog! I would give him a normal person's name like "Ralph" or "Dave" and tell my friends how wonderfully active we are. i.e. "Dave and I went to the trail today and ran 6 miles!" or "Ralph and I went to an art and wine festival today, and we met the cutest Bulldog, Sophie, and her owner, Mike." :)

I've thought a lot about introducing a dog into my life, but it's just a bad time. I don't have the money, the time, or the space to take care of such a large animal. And, yes, I would want a larger dog. I dream of the day when I am able to shop for woman's best friend...











A.) Yes, it's a pit bull. B.) Running/athletic Greyhound. C.) Rottweilers are good Germans.

2 comments:

sarah said...

We like the big dogs too. We're currently dogsitting a huge golden retriever if you want to stop by and get a doggy fix.

Suzanne said...

Yes, I know. Your hubby stopped in and said hello to me today at work. I would like to visit with this dog, but mostly, I would just like to visit with YOU! :)