Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Never been a Cornflake Girl

Never was a cornflake girl
Thought that was a good solution
Hanging with the raisin girls
She's gone to the other side
Givin us a yo heave ho
Things are getting kind of gross
And I go at sleepy time
This is not really happening
You bet your life it is
--Tori Amos
I could probably eat cornflakes at any time of the day, morning, lunch, evening, as a late-night snack. Cornflakes are a popular cereal, even worldwide. In fact, Germans refer to all cereals as "Cornflakes" as we Americans refer to facial tissue as "Kleenex". But, they really aren't a cereal that I crave or otherwise have an affection for. They are just good ole', standard, healthy, crispy flakes. Honestly, to make corn flakes taste really good, they need tons of sugar or fruit on top. It would be nice to find a naturally sweetened flake - perhaps the use of sugar instead of corn syrup. Cornflakes sweetened by corn syrup -- that's a lot of corn.
This is American, man. It's amazing how much corn is out there: corn flakes, corn puffs, corn chowder, corn bread, corn syrup... I should know, I'm from the #1 corn state. Iowans are proud of their corn culture; they even started the "ethanol" gas revolution. A product made of corn that runs an engine? REMARKABLE! I think my parents would be thrilled with a Cornflake son-in-law that could run an engine.
Cornflake Boy (who also happens to be a mechanical engineer.. he he he) invited me to a college basketball game last night - his high-brow, Ivy league alma mater, vs. my ghetto-ass State College. We had a beer before the game at a local pub where we discussed skiing and told funny Las Vegas stories before heading over to the game.
My first impression - yep, this is a Stanford guy. Cute, non-offensive, nice smile, clean, stands upright, looks you in the eye when he talks to you. My father would love him. We had a nice conversation throughout the game, but nothing deeper than surface level. (Not that I expected it on a first date.) CB is true to his team. He's the biggest fan of all Cardinal sports, and attends games regularly. He has 2 degrees from the tree-as-mascot university, and intends to go back for an MBA. I don't know, it's a little to "home grown" for my tastes. I think I'm in need of a little diversity.

No comments: