Monday, May 05, 2008

Don't be a (organic) hater!

I know I've been a hater in the past. I've said thing like "A green pepper is a green pepper whether you buy it at Whole Foods or Smart and Final." I grew up in the Midwest where apples are the size of ping pong balls, there is only one kind of lettuce at the grocery store. Not a lot of produce going on there, except, of course, for corn, often sold out of a truck on the side of the road for $2 a dozen. (It might be more since the rise of corn-related-product use... i.e. corn syrup, ethanol.)

Anyhoo, after three weeks of eating (mostly) organic, I've realized that I am doing something good for myself. A few myths about organic eating have been busted since I decided to try it on for size. It might fit. Partially. Read on.

Preconceived notion #1: Organic eating is expensive.
Organic GROCERY SHOPPING is expensive. My grocery bills have grown substantially from about $40 a week to perhaps $80. Today a gallon of organic milk was $5.99, and two chicken breasts over $10. I'm buying a lot more fresh produce now, which means extra trips to the grocery store. Because I'm paying more, I'm wasting less - I'm eating dinner at home and taking leftovers to work for lunch. Eating out has decreased SUBSTANTIALLY. No more $4.99 Togos sandwiches or munching on mozzarella sticks at the pub.

Preconceived notion #2: Organic food rots faster.
Well, yes. Organic produce takes longer to get to the grocery store so it can be rather, um, ripe, when it gets there. But, there is a fun and fabulous way around this. FARMERS MARKET. A fresh head of lettuce picked on Sunday morning will last through Thursday. Woo! AND it's cheaper at the Farmer's Market. Woo Woo!

Preconceived notion #3: There is no organic frozen or boxed foods.
Lo and behold, I can still buy frozen peas, dried pasta, and canned sauces. This makes the busy lady very happy because there is STILL no way I'm going to find the time to let a homemade pasta sauce saute for five hours on the stove. I'm still buying that - premade.

Preconceived notion #4: It all tastes the same.
I still tend to think that organic food tastes the same as non-organic. You could fool me in a blind taste test. Perhaps it's acquired? Dunno.

Preconceived notion #5: I'm going to starve to death.
My life is still in tact, as I'm sure you've guessed. I've definitely been eating less because I think I spend so much time preparing what I'm going to eat, and only buy exactly what I need. I'm not buying snack foods. Organic snack food still kind of freaks me out. Maybe I'll give it a whirl at some point.

Preconceived notion #6: Eating organic is ALL THE TIME.
This is so false, at least for me. I have to go out to eat without being picky, or people would stop hanging out with me. Can you imagine asking the bartender for "Organic Martini, straight up with two organic olives." I think he would die laughing. I'm not going to give up social occassions, like a BBQs, and I'm going to eat hotdogs at a ballgame. I like my friends. I'd like to keep them around. I'd also like to keep my local taqueria and Papa Johns in business, because I like them too. My manfriend likes to cook, and he should be able to cook what he wants. So, when he invites me over, it's on non-organic terms. :)

So, my opinions of organic eating have changed somewhat. Deep down I realize that putting chemicals in the soil is not a good idea, and that pumping animals full of steroids is eventually going to come back to haunt us. I don't support that animals are equal to human beings. (I'm definitely not interested in being a vegetarian.) But, I do believe that, when we treat our food well, we are also treating ourselves well in the long run. Good karma feels pretty good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

After my MBA project on Chipotle, I´m also a supporter of ¨naturally-raised¨ meat, which includes the commitment that the animals be fed a 100% vegetarian diet. I have to say I´m very much in favor of my meat being vegetarian. I like the idea that my steak was not fed other cow parts, chicken or pork byproducts. I also think its a shame that this commitment is a meaningful distinction in American meat industry.

Unknown said...

Interesting commentary. I haven't yet gotten into the full swing of the organic foods movement, mostly because of costs and because I haven't shifted my social life around to make proper cooking something I actually am at home and have time to do.