Thursday, February 22, 2007

Is there a dream doctor in the house?

Does anyone else have dreams about being pregnant on a regular basis? This dream seems to come along every couple of months or so, and I'm still trying to figure out what it all means.

THE DREAM
I'm pregnant. How did I get pregnant? Who's baby is it? I don't have a boyfriend. It worries me at first and I'm scared to tell friends and family, but when I tell them, they are fine with it. They even congratulate me! So, I'm going to be a single mom - I can hack it, I have a decent job. Baby and me will be just fine.

I feel pregnant. My belly is growing and I can feel baby swimming around in there. I start to worry, "OMG! I have to give birth! CRAP! How much running will it take to get this belly to go away!"

*A bunch of weird happenings totally unrelated to my being pregnant. A subplot, if you will*

Suddenly I'm not pregnant anymore and I have a dog. I don't remember giving birth to the dog, so I assume I was never pregnant to begin with. He is a cute dog, so I work my schedule around him, feed him, take him for walks in the park... I'm worried about potty training him, but I love him. I'm a little confused to why I don't have a baby, but am very happy with my dog.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN?
The strangest part of this dream is that I NEVER give birth. Also, it is not always a dog that I end up with. It has been a cat, and a couple of times it was a plant! Yes, I realized halfway through the dream (after all of the weird subplot stuff) that my "baby" is coming out of the ground! Then, a fern is born. I am also happy with the fern.

I looked up the meanings of dreams. Dreaming of pregnancy is supposed to signify psychological or spiritual growth, and dreaming about animals is supposed to signify some kind of wrong-doing, or feeling guilt.

I'm feeling guilty about my spiritual growth? Great. Thanks, dream, for letting me know. I thought I was just wanting a puppy, or perhaps a plant. I didn't know I was having deep and intense guilt while sleeping.

Arg. Helga, I need you here.

3 comments:

Helga said...

Here's the thing about dreams: There's no formula for how to interpret them. Each symbol can have a very personal meaning, even as it can have a more universal one. Although I like the idea of pregnancy as growth, it may not mean only growth to you. But there is a lot of life in your dream, isn't there? Dogs, ferns, etc. It sounds like you're growing things all over the place.

I could do this a lot better in person.

Thank you, and that will be $100.

sarah said...

Regarding the $100, Helga understands that that sounds like a lot, AND that's what it is. (You see, you must use the "and" rather than the "but"--this much I have learned via osmosis from La Helga. Actually she just told me.)

Anyway, your immaculate conception is cracking me up. Nice post.

Helga said...

I live to teach.