Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Celebrate everyday!

I'm so glad to be back in "The Grind." Holiday madness has passed -- no more fluff, just back to working my way through life, trying to find a hidden suprise in the mix.

I found the holidays to be sadly mundane. During the holidays, I feel that I'm in a constant rut -- nothing is progressing, in fact, everything is digressing: my health, my work and school activities, my pocketbook, my relationships... I definitely don't get the overall warm, happy feeling that people are supposed to have during the holidays. Conversely, during "The Grind" I'm constantly thinking of ways to improve -- to take classes towards my MA, to move up professionally, to spend time with friends, to exercise, and just generally feel good about life. Holiday madness just puts me in a rut. It would be nice to have a break from the "The Grind" but not when it's just a bunch of materialistic hype, over-eating and over-drinking. I would rather just celebrate the "Every Day."

The reason why people tend to make New Years Resolutions must be due to the fact that people generally feel like crap about themselves at the end of the year. I will totally admit to feeling like crap, as I make the following resolutions:

1.) Make everyday advancements at work. Even if this means only that my desk is kept orderly, improvements should be made on a daily basis. The bigger picture is building my experiences and network for the future.

2.) Read more German literature. I don't find a lot of people to speak German to, and need to keep up. Reading is the best way. Since my reading skills are slower in German, I'll actually read less this year.

3.) Learn about grant writing. I would assist in the grant writing process for the performing arts and have been thinking about getting some PhD funding for myself...

4.) Stay healthy. I'm not going to complain. I've been pretty good about running, but health could always be improve.

5.) Date NICE guys. Eventually one will knock my socks off. I can't deal with Mr. Fraternity and his band of drinking buddies anymore. Fun does not equal functional...and it doesn't stay fun for long. This also ties into No. 4 Stay healthy.

6.) Remember friends' birthdays. This was a resolution after my birthday 2 years ago. It's getting better, but improvements can always be made.

No comments: