Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Suziemusi's 29th Birthday

I didn't have a huge Dora the Explorer cake or a jump house for my birthday. And good thing too... I wouldn't have remembered.
I got an ice cream cone with a candle in it, and that was good enough for me.



I love socializing, but I really don't like throwing parties. I actually put together a baby shower for a co-worker a couple of months ago, and was shocked by myself. So, maybe it would work for my own birthday - no, not decorating with duckies or buying gifts at Baby's R Us - I mean planning a 29th birthday for myself. Silly.

One problem is the activity. I have a pretty diverse group of friends, and sometimes a theme isn't as appealing to some as it is to others. Also finances is important. Some friends can afford a nice meal, and some can't. Then there is the whole thing where everyone feels like they have to pay for you, but YOU picked the restaurant and drank 2 bottles of wine. That's not really fair.

Then there is the issue of how to get a number of people to be at one place at one time. A restaurant would be a nice place for up to 10 people, but above that it becomes a zoo. A park would be nice, because there is lots of room, but August is HOT, people!

Part of me just wants to hide away on my birthday like I did last year. I went to a coastal resort and spent two days in nature - by myself. I went hiking and running, read a book, got a massage, ate nice meals. It made me feel like very Euro-independent, but it was admittedly pretty boring after the first day. Camping with a few friends could be fun. Alas, no camping equipment. *argh*

So, what to do:

#1. Dinner at Menara Moroccan Restaurant in San Jose. I just love sitting on the floor and eating with my hands! Entertainment is belly dancing! It's about 25 bucks a person, which includes a number of courses, and drinks would be extra. A few friends may opt out. I will pay something up front so I don't get my meal for free, because I don't think that's fair.

#2. Taking the weekend off to go camping somewhere. I would need to find friends with equipment.

#3. Go to a spa. This would be an activity for girlfriends, as I am not aware of any of my guy friends who like pedicures. Although, I think everyone needs a nice nail cleaning and foot rub every now and again... I'm not going to push it.

#4. Dinner at the new Hooters in Campbell. This could be hilarious as it is typically a place where men would celebrate their birthdays. Very non-traditional.

#5. Bowling, Bocce or Mini Golf. I would tend to put them in the following order 1-Bocce, 2-Bowling, 3-Mini Golf, only to avoid a large number of children. No, not that my friends are children! Again. Silly.

Anyone have a better idea?

No comments: