Monday, June 30, 2008

I bought a bike

About a year ago, I started thinking about triathlons. Alas, there were two problems that would prevent me from training for this triathlon.

#1 I have no bike. #2 I've never swum further than the length of a pool...

Hmmm, major problems, especially since the whole meaning of "tri" is three athletic events in one and I can only do 1/3 of the events.

"But, biking is so expensive," I complained. So, I decided to try and find some swim lessons, but unfortunately summer was over before I completed, actually even started, my underwater mission. Isn't that just the way it goes? Procrastination at it's finest.

While in Iowa, I visited my friend, Alison, who is quite the cyclist, and asked her opinion about what kind of bike I should buy. First of all, it would be a fantastic option to be able to bike to work. 10 miles to work and back would be stellar exercise for one day and I would be saving the environment and my pocketbook. It would also be fun to bike the Los Gatos Creek Trail since it's very close to my house. Ride to Los Gatos, have lunch or a snack, and ride home... that's rad! So, I was thinking road bike.

Then I thought it would be fun to take the bike to Santa Cruz and ride along the beach trails, or eventually be able to take a climb up a rocky hill. Well, one needs a different type of bike for that - DAMN.

So, I decided if my first and second priorities would be road bike appropriate, I should definitely go for the sleeker, lighter variety. On Saturday, after 3 HOURS in the bike store, I bought this beauty...

I took it out on Sunday for the first time and am still getting used to gears, etc. But, it should be a good alternative to running as long as my butt can handle it. When, I say "butt" I mean just that... those small road bike seats are not particularly booty friendly. Yes, I bought a pair of padded shorts.

Biking is a step in the right direction. Maybe I'll eventually learn how to swim...

1 comment:

Helga said...

Did you get a special bike saddle for your lady parts? Ask Kjerste about it. You can get extra-special cutouts.