Thursday, June 19, 2008

Marathon to Marathon

A few months ago, my friend, Alison, told me she was interested in running a marathon. She has made reference to a few things she wants to "check off the list" before 30. I told her I really wasn't interested in training for a full marathon, but I would do a half. So, we conjured up a plan for me to come out to Iowa for a race, and she to return the visit and run a half here in California. Any excuse for a visit will do! Alison's best friend from college also signed up for the Marathon to Marathon and we've been periodically checking each other's progress, etc.



The big day was great! The morning temperature was about 56 degrees in Storm Lake, IA. At 6:00 am, we watched the start of the full marathon race in Storm Lake, then loaded on the bus to be dropped off (literally) on a country road in front of a farm house between Storm Lake and Marathon. At 7:00 am we were off! I decided to take my time for the first 6 miles - no need to try and "race" since I've only run 12 miles one other time. I was feeling mighty good after mile 6, so I got into a faster groove. Only after being gone for 9 years, could I finally appreciate the beautiful Iowa scenery:

If you don't like, um, "country smells," one might have not enjoyed it. But, I'm hard core. No poo smells or roadkill (which I saw at mile 9) would deter me from getting to the finish line!


We all got to the finish line before the first marathoner, which means WE DIDN'T GET LAPPED! YAY! We all finished around the 2 hour mark and were proud of our accomplishment. I want Helga to know that I really was the "fastest girl in San Jose" for this race. ;)

24 226 Suziemusi 28 Campbell, CA 1:56:50.02 (Ok, Campbell...)

I would like to thank our photographers, Bart and Munter, (Hubbies of fellow racers) for getting up with us at 4 am. (That's 2 am California time...) Here's to the Silicon Valley half marathon in October!

1 comment:

Helga said...

Awesome!!!