Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The Cul-de-sac Life

I think this is currently my worst fear.

The whole idea of the "perfect life" bothers the crap out of me, mostly because I believe it doesn't exist. There are reasons:

Reason #1 I watched 4 hours of Housewives of the O.C. on Sunday. Their materialistic lives upset me greatly.

Reason #2 Upon asking my dinner date what kind of women he usually goes out with, he said, "Normal ones." That bothered me. Why would you want to be with anyone who is all-in-all "normal." Normal to me equals "boring." I might be too much for this guy. I don't think I'm drama, but I do need some attention and I don't consider myself at all to be "normal." Why is he dating me?

Reason #3 When visiting my cousin in the Dallas burbs last year, I was tormented at how every house looked exactly the same. The yards were perfectly manicured, everyone had some high-end car, they all dressed nicely. Everyone I met was "nice." I pointed this out to my cousin and she said, "Yeah, things aren't always what they seem." I'd prefer a great home on the inside, compared to a great home on the outside (if you get my drift).

Reason #4 The only couple I personally know who live in a cul-de-sac are 60-something couple, semi-retired. Their home is perfect inside and out, they like to have people over, and... they hate each other with the passion of two flames. They sleep in separate bedrooms, and have people over to distract them from their horrible relationship. Nice.

Reason #4 I looked up Cul-de-sac on Wikipedia. First of all, "cul-de-sac" literally means, "at the bottom of the sack." I agree. This lifestyle seems "bottom of the barrel" to me also.

I thought it also interesting:

Cul-de-sac is also used metaphorically to mean a line of thought or action which leads nowhere.

In military parlance, a cul-de-sac refers to a large encirclement of troops.

In anatomy the cul-de-sac is another name for the rectouterine pouch.

I'm going to remain a bachelorette forever, or until I find a nice, drama-free, alternative to the cul-de-sac life.

No comments: