Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Be thurprithed at Fryths

(Be surprised at Fry's) For those of you who aren't familiar with the large discount electronics chain - "Be surprised, at Frys" is the company slogan.

I was more in fear for my life at Frys. Admittedly I've only been to Frys 3-4 times - very hard to believe for many of you tech savvy people or even native Californians.

I really thought this time it would be different... it wasn't.

I'm sure you know that all Frys have a "theme." What is this place? Like Prom or something? Anyway my neighborhood Frys is supposed to look like the inside of King Tuts tomb. Very weird.

The sales people don't really "sell" anything, they just tell you where things are - Knowing this, I brought in a borrowed AC adaptor, found a friendly geek, ahem, sorry, salesperson, and said, "Where is this?"

He said, (pointing) "All along this wall."

That's it? No, "What kind do you have?" "Here are your options.." Nada. All I needed was a Dell AC adaptor for my notebook, and they only had this generic adaptor that costs the same as buying the Dell one online. I was disappointed.

The clientele at Frys is also disappointing. You'd think it would be chalk full of smart men. Not so. Or, perhaps smart, but living-with-your-mother kind of smart, if you get my drift. It's chalk full of, well, very interesting people. They also come completely solitary, or in inappropriately large groups. It's not just techie dudes, either. I saw a woman laughing hysterically in one of the aisles. Goodness! Is there really ANYTHING to laugh about at Frys?

As I was leaving, even the greeter guy had a slight lisp. "Thanths for sthoping in." He said.

Frys is really a stereotype. I feel like I should start taking my out-of-town visitors there to experience the real (totally stereotypical) Silicon Valley.

Come on, tech geeks! Let me hear your Frys stories!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I disagree!! I found Frys to be a target rich environment of total SV babes. If you are a female on the husband hunt for a SV geek of sorts, head to this electronic paradise of sorts. What better to have your future husband have an addiction to computer parts versus other insane addictions? Maybe you should go back on a different day. Flirt with that man next to you armed with his pocket protector. You might land a date and well, a new hottie to add to your rolodex of SV suitors. These guys are often shy, brilliant, and cute!!