Friday, September 14, 2007

Fall Flip-Out

Every summer I sit around, thinking a lot, wanting to do something more, but alas, no one else seems to want to do anything extraordinary. So, I sit, without complaint, driving myself insane and taking long lunch breaks. Strangely enough, it seems other in a similar job position to mine enjoy the summer - probably because they are happy doing nothing. That's just not the way I roll.

I believe in signs - whether they be from God or some other higher power. I think human beings have an awareness of when things aren't right, then follow signs to another path, thus leading them in another direction. Every summer I try to update my resume and do job searches because I find summer to be completely underwhelming.

Today I thought I saw a glimmer of light.

I think I have a great idea for my thesis, so I emailed my non-communicative advisor, and another professor for whom I have great respect (just in case my advisor doesn't respond). My thesis idea is pretty bomb-ass. My idea rolls into my career aspirations, and expands the role that I play at my job, and has future implications. My thesis will ensure that I don't have a boring summer next year.

Right after emailing my bomb-ass thesis idea, I receive and email that one of my classes has been canceled. My intention, of course, is to finish my MA this year, do or die! I won't survive another Summer of Mundane. I'm desperate! So, I started researching other programs online - even in Chicago, then in Washington D.C. "Damnit! I will finish! If they won't let me move on, I'll just move somewhere else and finish! No one will stop me!" I thought.

Yeah, I flipped out a little. It happens.

An hour later I receive a phone call from my advisor, who, for some reason has heard the situation and has read my emails to him and the department asking what I should do. Amazing.

The only option I have to satisfy the requirement for the canceled class and still finish at the end of 2008, is to take another class with "the teachers." I'll do anything - even take another class with people who need a step-by-step rubric.

So, the glimmer of light is to hold tight for another year before packing up and leaving for Chicago or Washington D.C. Perhaps the Bay Area will be able to keep me - it honestly won't be hard because I love it here.

But, I AM gearing up for a new adventure of some kind. I can feel it.

No comments: