Wednesday, August 29, 2007

I need a new hobby

I think my need for a new hobby arises from the unproductive summer months. Because I work in academia, there isn't a lot going on in the summer. Once my class ended in July, I haven't had much going on. Now August is almost over, and I've realized that not many exciting summer stuff happened in the last 30 days. Now is the 2 weeks before the beginning of the academic year where the public schools are already in session, my choir has started rehearsing without me (I'm taking a break to focus solely on my MA), and I feel the need to take on a new hobby that fits into my busy schedule.

Such a hobby can have no financial bearing, as, let's face it, I'm working a low paying job and just took out another student loan. My new hobby can also have no time bearing because, let's face it, by expediting my MA, I have less of it. But, I always feel the need to grow in some new way. Someone asked me lately to bartend for a wedding, because they know I am open to new experiences. I don't really want to be a bartender, even for a night, but it might be fun and I might meet new people, and let's face it, I'm not going to take it on professionally.

I should base a new hobby on things I'm already doing. I've been thinking recently about training for a triathlon. Unfortunatley, yours truly doesn't really know swimming strokes and doesn't own a bike. So, I've contacted the Aquatics Director at work about swim lessons, and bf's parents have offered me access to a bike any time I need one. I should take up both offers.

Maybe I'll go out over Labor Day weekend and buy myself a new pair of running shoes, a one-piece suit, and some padded shorts.

Maybe I'm insane, and this new hobby will never take off with the amount of things that are already on my plate this fall. But, damn, I still have 3 weeks of summer left!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know I'm a cyclist... but did you know Kelli L. is a swimmer? There's our Triathlon team right there... just thought I'd mention it. -Binty